Friday, June 20, 2014

Fact Friday: The difference between Herbs and Spices


Several weeks ago at a Wellness Clinic,  I was asked what the difference was between Herbs and Spices.  I could list different ones in each catagory, after all we all have them in our kitchen,   but I could not give a clear explaination.  However while we were on vacation last week,  I pieked up a copy of "TIDBITS of Cheyenne" and it actually had a GREAT explaination of the difference between Herbs and Spices.  

There is a difference between herbs and spices.  Generally,  herbs are the leaves of a plant, while spices are taken from the roots, bark or seeds.  This means rosemary, thyme and mint are herbs, and cinnamon, paprika, coriander and nutmeg are spices.

Such a simple answer to a question,  now I'll know how to answer the question when asked again while I'm presenting our Herbal Blends and Essential Oils.




No comments: