Friday, June 27, 2014

Fact Friday: Herbs in Medcine has a long history

I never gave much thought to herbs,  however with the release of the Jordan Essentials Herbal Blends,  I thought I might do a little research.  I knew that they had a long history,  but I remember my grandma and many in her generation referring to "OLD WISE TALES"  but maybe they should have listened more.

The Egyptians were studying the use of herbs as far back as 3500 B.C.,  using them for medicine and in their religious rituals.  Today,  about 7,000 compounds used in medicine originate from plants.  About 200 million pounds (90,718,474 kg) of herbs and spices are consumbed in the U. S. annually.  The most common are black pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, paprika, chili powder, oregano, celery seed and parsley.


No comments: