Friday, January 24, 2014

Fact Friday: Gluten FREE


To be honest I never thought much of it.   I have a brother-in-law that tried to go gluten free years ago and it was really tough.   Now it seems that "Gluten" Allergies are more readily diagnosed.  Others just choose to participate in a "Gluten Free"  life style for one reason or another.

We all know about and can look for gluten in our food,  and name brands are now paying attention,  Betty Crocker has a line of Gluten Free Products, as does Bisquick.  Tyson even has a gluten Free Chicken that they offer.   You can see an entire food market developing around "gluten free".

How Does FDA Define 'Gluten-Free'?

In addition to limiting the unavoidable presence of gluten to less than 20 ppm, FDA will allow manufacturers to label a food "gluten-free" if the food does not contain any of the following:
  1. an ingredient that is any type of wheat, rye, barley, or crossbreeds of these grains
  2. an ingredient derived from these grains and that has not been processed to remove gluten
  3. an ingredient derived from these grains and that has been processed to remove gluten, if it results in the food containing 20 or more parts per million (ppm) gluten

Did you ever stop to ponder the fact that many of your bath and body products also contain "gluten" and for those with allergies or sensitivity it's a major concern.   Personally I would not have giving a thought about "gluten" being in the products that I put on my skin,  however the founder of Jordan Essentials has a "wheat sensitivity" so she has taken the time to educate us about "Gluten-Free".     So don't be afraid to question what is in the products that you put on your skin.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any questions you may have about the ingredients of our products.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have Celiac's disease, so of course I am gluten-free. It's SO much easier than it used to be, that's for sure! And yes, I had to change out several skin care products I used, and shampoo and even toothpaste! Crazy!

Peggy said...

I'm fortunate, I don't have gluten allergies. That said, many processed foods contain gluten and processed foods, in general, aren't good for us. The marketing around gluten free products has gotten pretty much out of control. Gluten free chicken? Of course chicken is gluten free - it's poultry not a grain. It eats grain that is passed through it's digestive tract.

Now, if you are allergic, read labels, reduce your processed food intake and eat more fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, etc.

Flo Callender said...

How very enlightening, Cathy. I recently learned that the wheat grown today is so tampered with genetically that the body is unable to process it. So it seems that the problem is not in eating grains, but eating the GMO grains that seem to be everywhere in everything.

Mrs. Riale said...

Are all of Jordan Essentials' products gluten-free? If not, how can I find out which ones are?

Cathy said...

Mrs. Riale, being that our CEO has a gluten allergy, very few of our products have gluten. Those that do include Shampoos and Oatmeal Milk and Honey Soap. All others are Gluten Free.

Mrs. Riale said...

WOW! Everything else is gluten-free for sure? That's fantastic!! I would assume the Oatmeal Milk and Honey Lotion Bar would be an issue, too, though, right? I'm very sensitive to gluten, so that's a huge blessing to know I can use everything else. Sounds good! Just wanted to double check before I use anything that could make me sick. :-)

Cathy said...

Mrs. Riale, I wanted to double check the answer before responding, when and pulled my Oatmeal Milk and Honey Bar to check the ingredients and sure enough it is FREE OF GLUETEN.

It contains beeswax, coconut Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, and Vitamin E.

BTW Oatmeal Milk and Honey is our best selling scent.