Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Please get your flu shot -- it's not to late

I for one got my flu shot this year for the first time in about 10 years,  even dragged my husband along to get his first of a life time.   You may ask what got me on the band wagon of being sure that everyone that I know is aware how  DANGEROUS the flu is.   On January 5th a friend of mine was admitted to the hospital with the flu.  Within days they put Holly into a medically induced coma because her body was fighting the treatments.  


So our decision to go and get our shots,  then I found out from the pharmacist that it takes two weeks to become completely effective.   Holly was only 36 years old,  a wife,  the mother of two and a very active networker,  and big supporter of those in Direct Sales.    On Friday night,  January 17th,  we lost Holly due to complications with the flu.  A devastating loss  to her family and everyone who knew here. 

Yes it was just the normal strain of flu is taking young men and women 35-45 years of age.   From what I understand (and, I'm not a Medical Doctor) is that the liquid in a Flu shot is NOT a live vaccine! Therefore, you cannot get the flu from the flu shot! With that said, for those people that get sick after they get a flu shot, chances are 1) it was not the flu, 2) they were carrying a nasty virus that happened to show up after they got the shot, or 3) they hate needles and are simply afraid to get the shot. Yes, it's true that H1N1 is also killing people north of Houston, and there is no vaccine for H1N1. Many people in Holly's same predicament (ventilator and in a medically-induced coma) have the regular, everyday strain of flu. Maybe they got the flu shot in October, maybe they didn't. People NOW are succumbing to the flu. GET YOUR VACCINE, TODAY!

You can call your doctor,  or drop in at your local drug store.   David and I went to Kroger's to get ours.

So please encourage everyone that you know to obtain their flu shots.   I know I will not miss another.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, our local target has done almost 900 shots this season so far.

Rachel said...

Hi, thank you for sharing your concern about the flu. It is intense and it's important to take care of our immune system so we can fight this off. I would love to offer that there are also natural solutions that can take the place of flu shots also. I would love to know if you also share other options with your clients.

Cathy said...

Rachel, I'm always interested in learning more about Natural Solutions. You can email me more information at CathyJELady@gmail.com

Lynda Lippin said...

I refuse to get a flu shot, and since I stopped about 10 years ago, I haven't gotten the flu. I also react to it, since I have a slight egg allergy.