Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Are there Cancer Causing Chemicals in your hair care products?




Years ago,  I used to have thick wavy hair,  used to complain about how thick it was.  Now I wish that I could have that problem back.   I battled some illnesses where the prescriptions did a number on me weight gain and thinning hair.   The thinning hair continued long after the prescritpions stopped.  I would have to switch out shampoos every couple of hair washes.  At some point during this battle,  I decided that I was going to try and get rid of as many chemicals as possible that I was putting into and on my body.   Was doing pretty good,  except was still unable to find a shampoo.

I am at a loss as to why I dragged my feet,  I even spent major money on some of those we'll thichen your hair,  stop you from going bald,  but the complicated matters.  So I tried our Jordan Essentials shampoo and conditioner,  within  weeks I noticed that I no longer had to switch out shampoo and conditioners.  My hair was a little more managable.   Then when I went to my hairdresser to get a cut and highlight,  she was jumping around like a little kid,  "what are you doing your hair feels so healthy and YOU WAVE IS BACK!!!!

Yes my hair is still on the thin side,  but I feel human,  and it's all to getting rid of the chemicals.  

Then today this article showed up in my news feed,  and when I looked at how many on that list I actually used on my hair,  it makes me wonder how much thicker might hair might be if I had not put all those chemicals on it for so many years of my life.


ARTICLE:

The Center for Environmental Health (CEH) revealed independent testing finding a cancer-causing chemical in 98 shampoos, soaps and other personal care products sold by major national retailers. The chemical, cocamide diethanolamine (cocamide DEA), a chemically-modified form of coconut oil used as a thickener or foaming agent in many products, was listed by California as a known carcinogen last year.

Products tested with high levels of cocamide DEA include shampoos made by Colgate Palmolive, Colomer, Paul Mitchell and many others. In addition, products marketed for children and a product falsely labeled as organic were found with the chemical, in violation of California law.

CEH filed a California lawsuit Tuesday against four companies that sell products containing cocamide DEA, and the nonprofit has sent legal notices to more than 100 other companies that produce and/or sell cocamide DEA-tainted products that their products violate state law.
“Most people believe that products sold in major stores are tested for safety, but consumers need to know that they could be doused with a cancer-causing chemical every time they shower or shampoo,” said Michael Green, executive director of CEH. “We expect companies to take swift action to end this unnecessary risk to our children’s and families’ health.”
click here for the rest of the story and list

No comments: