Thursday, July 10, 2008

How SAFE is your Sunscreen?



This June when we were on a vacation in the Mountains of New Mexico, I was very careful to use my sunscreen, we were outside the better part of 8 hours per day and I burn so easy, especially when we're that high up. I knew that this would definately put the Jordan Essential SunScreen to the test, because for the past 8 years, I've left this vacation "burnt".


For the first time in my life I experienced the excitement of being outside without "burning to a crisp". My skin was even moisturized, I just love this product. I didn't think more about it, but have been showing everyone my light tan.


Then I noticed that conversations would go to who was using what SunScreen, and about the horror stories about burning or baking when they were in their Teens. Then this weekend I picked up a magazine "Change" and was reading it in the car and there was this great article "How SAFE is your SUNSCREEN?".


The article went on to say that 84% of the 831 sunscreens that EWG Tested (Environmental Working Group) http://www.ewg.org/ tested did not pass health and environmental standards. Many contained potentially harmful chemicals like benzophenone, homosalate and octyl methoxycinnamate amoung others.


Another thing that I leanred was that like most of us I knew about the Ultraviolet A or "UVA" and to make sure that what I used before and now with our Jordan Essentials Sunscreen was to check the "UVA" protection. But I had not thought about "UVB" or Ultraviolet B which consistas of 10% of all UV rays.


So needless to say as soon as we got home, I pulled out my bottle of sunscreen (and our catalog) and here is what it reads:


Kiwi Cooler SPF 30+ Sunscreen

"Very Water resistant" sunscreen

that conditions and protects against the sun's damaging rays.

Paba free. UVA/UVB protection"


I was pleased that we had the protection of both, and none of the "bad" chemicals that were listed in the article.

No comments: