Wednesday, November 13, 2013

What is Wellness?

Well I've been wondering the same thing myself.  I thought I knew what wellness was.  But as I read articles,  visit different sites. . . it seems that EVERYONE  has a DIFFERENT  definition of what  WELLNESS is. 

My,  Jordan Essentials TEAM and I are working together to host a WELLENSS SEMINAR    on January 18th  where Dr. Dawn Bush will be our guest speaking,  speaking on Women's Health Issues  (January 18th)  click here to request more info.   
 
Since we are planning this even I wanted put into my mind what the OFFICIAL DEFINITION is. 
 
 

Websters Full Definition of WELLNESS  

: the quality or state of being in good health especially as an actively sought goal     First known use of the Term  1683.
 

Wikipedia Full Definition of WELLNESS

Wellness is generally used to mean a healthy balance of the mind, body and spirit that results in an overall feeling of well-being. It has been used in the context of alternative medicine since Halbert L. Dunn, M.D., began using the phrase high level wellness in the 1950s. The modern concept of wellness did not, however, become popular until the 1970s.[1]
 
The term has been defined by the Wisconsin-based National Wellness Institute as an active process of becoming aware of and making choices toward a more successful existence. [1] This is consistent with a shift in focus away from illness in viewing human health, typical of contexts where the term wellness is used. In other words, wellness is a view of health that emphasizes the state of the entire being and its ongoing development.
 

Through my eyes,  the long and short of  the definition of wellness is to be viewed through your own individual eyes.    For some wellness might mean  being able to run that 10K  while for other's it's walking one block  further then yesterday.  It's  loosing 5 or 50 pounds.  For others it's about eating better,  while for others it's using natural remedies versus pain medication. . . 


Personally I know that they way I look at WELLNESS  now is not the same as I looked at it as a teenager,  or evan as I looked at it last year or 6 months ago . . for me it' evlovling as I become more educated and defining what I want for myself and my family. 

What does WELLNESS mean to you?

No comments: